Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Voted.

I just voted- Yes, I voted for John McCain (hold on a second while I go barf... thanks, I'm back now). I wasn't entirely sure I was going to do so. The Libertarian candidate (Bob Barr) was still a toss-up in the back of my mind. It became clear that this would have been a throw away vote once I pulled into the parking lot. Obama REALLY is winning on the get out the vote front. There was a chalk line drawn in a semi-circle from the front door of the library where I cast my ballot. I was told that this was a buffer zone where no campaigning could take place. Pacing the outside of the line were people dressed in Obama-logoed garb handing out tracts for him.

To be fair, there was one gentleman who was a Republican candidate for the county commission (not affiliated with the McCain campaign), so it wasn't only a pro-Obama effort. The poor guy did have a McCain/Palin pin on his hat, and it looked like he had taken a fair amount of grief from the Obama crowd. I spoke to him for a minute about his campaign, and as I was taking a leaflet from him, an Obama worker rudely stuffed a stack of papers in my hand on top of his leaflet. I told her that I didn't appreciate her forcefulness, and handed it back to her. She left without a word. Disclaimer: This is not to say that all people who work the precincts for Obama are rude. This just happened to be my experience today.

Once inside, the voting line snaked in and out of rows of books. It was interesting to stand there and people-watch. The two ladies in front of me were very much into Obama. They were talking to other people they knew in line about the calling they were doing on behalf of the campaign. From what I could overhear (yes I was being intentionally nosy), they were going to be in high gear until November 4th. They mentioned that they were working on putting together a call bank at a local strip mall, and would be manning it 12 hours a day until the election.

It is no secret that Obama has got a better ground game than McCain, and I witnessed it first hand today. Oh the times, they are a-changin’. God help us all…

1 comment:

Kiwi Fix It said...

Thank you for exercising your responsibility and privilege in casting your vote. How grateful I am for the Patriots who have sacrificed their lives so we may cast our votes freely. Also gratitude for the current Patriots who serve in the Armed Forces here and through out the world maintaining that Freedom for us and allowing it for others. I too cast my vote so their combined efforts and sacrifice are not in vain. The vote of the one, that impact silences the noise of the lazy masses who have rationalized (rational lying to one's self) their decision to just sit this one out. Those who chose not to vote will regret and have to live with that decision.